The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 31)

H o u s i ng D DEPOSIT AND CO-SIGNING Guarantor: In order to guarantee that rent is in full and on time, agencies and owners often request a «third party deposit» or «guarantor». A guarantor is a physical or legal person that co-signs the lease with the tenant. The guarantor promises to pay the rent if the tenant does not. Traditionally, a co-signer is requested when the tenant's monthly income after tax is less than 3 times the rent without charges. Deposit : To move into the accommodation, you will be asked to pay a sum equal to one month's rent (this can be up to two months' rent for furnished rentals). This sum will be returned to you when you leave the property, although the cost of any damages caused by you may be deducted. * Loca-pass and Pass GRL assistance: tenant risk deposits Organisations exist that can help you with your deposit or co-signer: CIL Habitat Ouest 1 rue du Scorff - CS 54 221 35042 RENNES CEDEX Tel. +33 (0)2 99 27 20 00 ASTRIA 6 rue de l'Abbé Grégoire CS 50824 35028 Rennes Cedex 2 Tel. +33 (0)2 99 22 20 40 INICIAL 19 rue de la Chalotais 35000 Rennes Tel. +33 (0)2 99 67 30 30 * Co-signer: © D. Levasseur * Financial assistance The French Government provides two types of financial assistance for accommodation to people on low incomes, depending on their means and the type of accommodation: the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement - Personalised Housing Aid), and the ALS (Allocation Logement à Caractère Sociale - Social Housing Aid) APL : can be paid to any person, whether French or non-French, on a low income and living in a logement conventionné (usually, but not always, social housing (HLM). (If you are renting a logement conventionné, his will be mentioned in your tenancy contract). To receive APL, you must complete an application form, which you can download on the CAF website. The benefit will be paid directly to your landlord, who will reduce the amount of rent you have to pay by an equivalent sum. Certain foyers (hostels) are also classed as conventionné, and if you live in one you can therefore be paid APL. ALS : any tenant can receive ALS for their main home, but such financial help is means-tested. The accommodation must meet certain minimum criteria as regards comfort (drinking water, sink, toilets, means of heating) and surface area. Ask the CAF for an application form, and if you fulfil the conditions, the benefit will be paid directly into your bank account. The amount of this benefit varies according to your income, the amount of rent paid, and the place where you live. The APL and ALS are mutually exclusive benefits. You cannot receive both at the same time. The conditions for payment of these benefits are reassessed every year. For more information: Caution Locative Étudiante (CLÉ) - student renting guarantor CROUS can act as guarantor for all PhD students as well as for international researchers who have been PhDs for under 6 years. FSL: Fonds Solidarité Logement. Agence Départementale d'Information sur le Logement (ADIL - Accommodation Information Agency) 22, rue Poullain Duparc - 35000 RENNES - Tel. +33 (0)2 99 78 27 27 For further information on your situation and what you may be entitled to, contact : CAF (Caisse d'allocations familiales) Cours des Alliés - 35028 Rennes Cedex 9 Tel. 0 810 25 35 10 - Bus : nos C3, 12 / Metro A - Stop: Charles de Gaulles ADIL (Agence départementale d'information sur le logement d'Ille-et-Vilaine) : 22 rue Poullain-Duparc - 35000 Rennes Tel. 02 99 78 27 27 - 31

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Sommaire : Fr
Présentation de Rennes
A La ville de Rennes
B Le Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes
Formalités d’entrée et de séjour
A Obtenir un visa
B Obtenir un titre de séjour
S’assurer et se soigner
A Sécurité sociale et assurance santé
B L'accès aux soins
Se loger
A Chercher un logement
B Informations pratiques
C Avant l’installation
D Garantie et caution solidaire
Banque et argent
A Ouvrir un compte
B Coût de la vie
C Impôts
D Retraites
Venir avec sa famille
A Démarches administratives
B Système éducatif
C Scolarité
D Modes de garde des enfants en bas âge
E Travail pour les conjoints
F Allocations familiales
G Chômage et droits des étrangers
Vie quotidienne
A Se restaurer
B Se déplacer
C Apprendre le français
D Communiquer
Temps libre : culture, loisirs, activités sportives
A Centres d’information
B Evénements culturels
C Loisirs, détente
D Activités sportives
Contacts utiles
Table of contents : En
Welcome to Rennes
A The city of Rennes
B The Rennes International Mobility Centre
Entry and residency formalities
A Obtaining a visa
B Obtaining un titre de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A Social security and health insurance
B Access to health care
A Finding somewhere to live
B Practical information
C Before moving in
D Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A Opening an account
B The cost of living
C Income tax
D Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A Administrative procedures
B Educational system
C Schools
D Childcare facilities for young children
E Organising work for your spouse
F Family allowances/benefits
G Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A Eating
B Getting around
C Learning French
D Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A Where to get information
B Cultural events and festivals
C Leisure activities
D Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES