The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 19)

H ea l th i n s u r anc e and health care The above information relates to researchers and those PhD the above information relates to researchers and PhD students who benefit from the scientific procedure. Please note that this information might change depending on the current regulations when you arrive in France. Please contact the CMI for more information. A SOCIAL SECURITY AND HEALTH INSURANCE The social security system The French social welfare system enables all salaried employees, whether French or non-French, to benefit from the social security scheme's coverage of the cost of health care resulting from illness and accidents. The financing of these benefits is mainly provided by contributions made by both the employer and the employee. o If you are a salaried employee, you are automatically incorporated into the social security régime général (general scheme) and affiliated to the Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie (CPAM), the French social security office that deals with medical insurance in your place of residence. Your contributions are paid automatically. When you join the system, you will be allocated a social security number and given a carte d'assuré social, or carte vitale; a card which is given to all those paying social security contributions. These will permit the reimbursement of those health care expenses incurred both by yourself and other eligible family members, i.e. your spouse or partner, and dependent children aged under 16 years old (under 20 years old if they are students). After a month in France, all you have to do is to go to the Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie (CPAM) to provide proof of your entitlement to social security by bringing with you evidence, such as a payslip, of having worked at least 60 hours during the month. o If you are a grant-holder or if you are in receipt of benefits and allowances, you are not considered as being a paid worker in France and so you must take out private personal insurance or else prove that you are insured in your home country. You can also ask to be voluntarily incorporated into the French social security system by applying for Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU - Universal Health Coverage). (For information on the CMU, see below). o PhD Students who are not paid employees but who are continuing their studies benefit from the student social security system until the age of 28, after which they can be directly affiliated to the CMU. Universal Health Coverage (CMU) The CMU is awarded to people who are not cove- red by health insurance as they are not in paid employment. The basic CMU entitles the claimant to the health insurance and maternity benefits and allowances, e.g. reimbursement of health-care treatment and medicines, of the social security general scheme (which applies to salaried employees). The CMU de base is free unless annual income exceeds a certain limit (€9,601). Otherwise, a contribution equal to 8% of the amount of the revenu fiscal de référence (shown on your income tax calculation notice) will have to be paid. It is open to any foreigner who has lived on a regular and uninterrupted basis in France for at least 3 months, and who is not entitled to any other form of health insurance. A titre de séjour or a receipt proving that a titre de séjour has been applied for are essential when claiming CMU. Furthermore, the applicant, and other eligible family members, must not be attached to any other social protection system, e.g. in their home country, or financed by their country. The claim for CMU de base (basic CMU), including both the researcher and eligible family members, must be made at the Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie (CPAM). Legalisation of documents / Apostille The legalisation of a document of foreign origin is a formality which enables the authenticity of a document drawn up abroad to be proven in France. Ambassadors and heads of consular posts have the jurisdiction to legalise a document of foreign origin. In certain cases, it is possible to apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Ambassadors and consular heads of post The legalisation of foreign-origin documents comes under the authority of French ambassadors and consular heads of post in the country that has issued the document. Ministry of Foreign Affairs Exceptionally, the Minister of Foreign Affairs is authorised to legalise documents issued by embassies or consulates in France and intended to be produced before other foreign diplomatic or consular officials in France. (service For further information: CPAM d'Ille-et-Vilaine (Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie) Cours des Alliés BP 34 A - 35024 Rennes Cedex 9 Tel. 36 46 Opening times: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm, except the first Thursday of every month (opens at 10.30am) Telephone line open from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Make an appointment on the 36 46 By appointment only 19

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Sommaire : Fr
Présentation de Rennes
A La ville de Rennes
B Le Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes
Formalités d’entrée et de séjour
A Obtenir un visa
B Obtenir un titre de séjour
S’assurer et se soigner
A Sécurité sociale et assurance santé
B L'accès aux soins
Se loger
A Chercher un logement
B Informations pratiques
C Avant l’installation
D Garantie et caution solidaire
Banque et argent
A Ouvrir un compte
B Coût de la vie
C Impôts
D Retraites
Venir avec sa famille
A Démarches administratives
B Système éducatif
C Scolarité
D Modes de garde des enfants en bas âge
E Travail pour les conjoints
F Allocations familiales
G Chômage et droits des étrangers
Vie quotidienne
A Se restaurer
B Se déplacer
C Apprendre le français
D Communiquer
Temps libre : culture, loisirs, activités sportives
A Centres d’information
B Evénements culturels
C Loisirs, détente
D Activités sportives
Contacts utiles
Table of contents : En
Welcome to Rennes
A The city of Rennes
B The Rennes International Mobility Centre
Entry and residency formalities
A Obtaining a visa
B Obtaining un titre de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A Social security and health insurance
B Access to health care
A Finding somewhere to live
B Practical information
C Before moving in
D Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A Opening an account
B The cost of living
C Income tax
D Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A Administrative procedures
B Educational system
C Schools
D Childcare facilities for young children
E Organising work for your spouse
F Family allowances/benefits
G Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A Eating
B Getting around
C Learning French
D Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A Where to get information
B Cultural events and festivals
C Leisure activities
D Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES