The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 17)

Entry and residency P r o c e d ure s Please note that this information might change depending on the current regulations when you arrive in France. Please contact the CMI Rennes for more information. B OBTAINING A RESIDENCY PERMIT The requirement to obtain a residency permit mainly concerns citizens of non-European Union (EU) countries. Since July 1 2008, citizens of the member states of the European Union do not need a residency permit (carte de séjour) and can work in France solely on the basis of their passport or identity card. This special system also applies to citizens of the European Economic Area, Monaco, Switzerland, and Andorra. Long-stay visa equivalent to a residency permit By a decree of 24 April 2009, the Ministry of Immigration introduced a reform of visa law. In particular, it introduced a long-stay visa that is valid as a residence permit (VLS-TS). This means that the person who obtains this visa is no longer required to apply for a residence permit when they arrive in France. Having this visa means that the holder is exempt from having to have a residence permit for the first year, but it entails the carrying out of official procedures at the OFII (Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration).The Law of 16 June 2011 extended the application of the VLS-TS scheme to the international researcher (but not to their spouse), providing that they get, on presentation of a convention d'accueil, a 'scientific-researcher, CESEDA R311-3 9°' VLS-TS. The international researcher who has a VLS-TS must, within three months of their arrival in France, take steps to have their VLS-TS validated by the OFII. Without the affixing of the OFII stamp on the passport, the long-stay visa is not valid as a residence permit. Procedure: send a letter by recorded delivery (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception) to the regional OFII office of your place of residence. This must contain: - The OFII attestation application form - Copies of the relevant passport pages - identity, and French entry stamp - Copy of the VLS-TS - Copy of the convention d'accueil hosting agreement Subsequently, the applicant is asked to go to the OFII to finalise the administrative procedures because a visit in person to the OFII is necessary for the stamp to be affixed and the OFII fee to be paid. The VLS-TS is thus validated. Information o If the researcher wants to travel before the OFII stamp is affixed on the visa: - During the first three months of the validity of the VLS-TS, they can leave and then return to French territory (within the Schengen area and from their home country) without the need for further administrative procedures. During this period, the VLS-TS acts as a visa. - After these three months, travel (within the Schengen area and from their home country) is only possible if the visa has been validated with an OFII stamp. o Decree no. 2014-921 of 18 August 2014, simplified certain administrative procedures for scientist-researchers who want to remain in France (more information p.43). o A medical check-up is no longer required for scientistresearchers who are holders of a long-stay visa valid as a residence permit (VLS-TS), as well as the members of their families. Temporary residency permit marked "scientist" Certain bilateral agreements between France and other states can derogate from the general rules on certain points. This is the case of the regulations applicable to Algerians, who cannot therefore apply for the VLS-TS but who can apply for the issue of a long-stay visa marked 'D' and 'residency permit to be requested in the two months after arrival'. On presentation of the convention d'accueil, the note of 'scientist-researcher' is added. The long-stay visa valid as a residence permit (VLSTS),validated with the OFII stamp, and the residence permit are documentary proof of the international researcher's legal residence in France. French law therefore requires the holder to always carry them. The VLS-TS and residence permit are generally valid for the same period as the convention d'accueil and must be renewed, if necessary, within the 2 months before the expiry date. An Algerian researcher must, within two months of their arrival, apply for a first residency permit at the prefecture of their place of residence in order to obtain a residency permit marked 'scientist'. 17

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Sommaire : Fr
Présentation de Rennes
A La ville de Rennes
B Le Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes
Formalités d’entrée et de séjour
A Obtenir un visa
B Obtenir un titre de séjour
S’assurer et se soigner
A Sécurité sociale et assurance santé
B L'accès aux soins
Se loger
A Chercher un logement
B Informations pratiques
C Avant l’installation
D Garantie et caution solidaire
Banque et argent
A Ouvrir un compte
B Coût de la vie
C Impôts
D Retraites
Venir avec sa famille
A Démarches administratives
B Système éducatif
C Scolarité
D Modes de garde des enfants en bas âge
E Travail pour les conjoints
F Allocations familiales
G Chômage et droits des étrangers
Vie quotidienne
A Se restaurer
B Se déplacer
C Apprendre le français
D Communiquer
Temps libre : culture, loisirs, activités sportives
A Centres d’information
B Evénements culturels
C Loisirs, détente
D Activités sportives
Contacts utiles
Table of contents : En
Welcome to Rennes
A The city of Rennes
B The Rennes International Mobility Centre
Entry and residency formalities
A Obtaining a visa
B Obtaining un titre de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A Social security and health insurance
B Access to health care
A Finding somewhere to live
B Practical information
C Before moving in
D Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A Opening an account
B The cost of living
C Income tax
D Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A Administrative procedures
B Educational system
C Schools
D Childcare facilities for young children
E Organising work for your spouse
F Family allowances/benefits
G Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A Eating
B Getting around
C Learning French
D Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A Where to get information
B Cultural events and festivals
C Leisure activities
D Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES