The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 35)

B ank s and money B THE COST OF LIVING Type of purchase Average prices Monthly rent University Residence: e162 to e346 Cité Internationale Paul Ricoeur e489 to e579 Room in a privately owned house (lodgings): e250 to e300 Unfurnished Studio Flat: e250 to e450 Furnished Studio Flat: e350 to e600 Electricity/gas: e30 to e50 Water: e20 to e40 Home insurance minimum for the year: € e15 to e40€ Transport Bus/metro ticket: € e1.50 Monthly bus/underground pass: - de 27 ans : € e31.00 + de 27 ans : € e47.40 Administrative fees for the titre de séjour and validation of visa Student status First application: € e58 Renewing: e30 Biometric residence permit: e19 Statut scientifique Scientist status First application: e241 Renewing: € e87 Biometric residence permit: e19 Visitor status First application: e241 Renewing: e87 Biometric residence permit : e19 Insurance Student social security: e220 Private student insurance: € e310 minimum Private insurance: e750 Food Average basket for a month: e150 University restaurants: € e3.20 Sandwiches: e5 to 10 Restaurant: € e15 to 20 Daily life Laundry: € e5 Coffee: e2 Council swimming pool: e4.40 Cinema ticket (no 3D): e10 Ice rink: e7.90 These prices are subject to change during the year. C INCOME TAX Whatever the length of your stay and the nature of your income in France, e.g. salary, grant, you may have to submit an income tax return every year (in May), depending on your tax-paying situation. This procedure concerns most salaried scientists.. However, an exception to this applies to non-residents, who are defined as being people who do not officially live in France, and who have kept their official place of residence in another country. For those in this category, the employer informs the Centre des Impots (Tax Office) that they should benefit from a scheme called prélèvement à la source (deduction at source/pay as you earn (go) system). With this system, the employer deducts the sum corresponding to the income tax directly from the researcher's salary each month. Ask your employer to see if they have set up this type of deduction at source/ pay as you earn system. Those researchers in receipt of grants, e.g. post-doctoral research fellows, are also concerned as only those students who are holders of bourses sociales (those with lower household incomes) are not, under certain conditions, liable to pay income tax. If you are declaring your income for taxation purposes for the first time, you must ask the Centre des Impôts (Tax Office) or the mairie of your place of residence for an imprimé de déclaration de revenus (income tax declaration form). For further information, contact : Centre des Impôts de Rennes 2 boulevard Magenta - BP 37 - 35023 Rennes Tel. 02 99 29 36 00 France has signed more than 100 bilateral taxation agreements with different countries. A list of these agreements can be found at the following address : Then click on "international" In France, filling in a tax form does not necessarily mean that you will have to pay tax. This tax return is also used to calculate: * The taxe d'habitation council tax due for living in housing on 1rst January. * Television licence fee for people who have a television. D RETIREMENT PENSIONS Foreigners working in France pay social security contributions as French citizens do, and obtain the same pension eligibility. Contact your pension fund for more information. European nationals: the French government will calculate your pension and take your career abroad into account. Quarters worked in the countries where you have lived will be included when determining your total subscription period and your pension. Non-EU countries: you must contact the French body you subscribe to prior to leaving France. The French pension authority will calculate your pension independently of your career abroad. Quarters worked abroad will not be included when calculating your French pension. Before retiring, you must take the initial administrative steps several months in advance. Remember: Your papers must be in order to obtain a pension. Namely: If you have only spent a few months or years in France and you have permanently returned to your home country, then French law forbids the refund of your national insurance contributions made during your stay. However, they will not be lost: if you have paid at least one quarter of national insurance, then you will be eligible for a pension upon reaching the legal French retirement age. 35

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Sommaire : Fr
Présentation de Rennes
A La ville de Rennes
B Le Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes
Formalités d’entrée et de séjour
A Obtenir un visa
B Obtenir un titre de séjour
S’assurer et se soigner
A Sécurité sociale et assurance santé
B L'accès aux soins
Se loger
A Chercher un logement
B Informations pratiques
C Avant l’installation
D Garantie et caution solidaire
Banque et argent
A Ouvrir un compte
B Coût de la vie
C Impôts
D Retraites
Venir avec sa famille
A Démarches administratives
B Système éducatif
C Scolarité
D Modes de garde des enfants en bas âge
E Travail pour les conjoints
F Allocations familiales
G Chômage et droits des étrangers
Vie quotidienne
A Se restaurer
B Se déplacer
C Apprendre le français
D Communiquer
Temps libre : culture, loisirs, activités sportives
A Centres d’information
B Evénements culturels
C Loisirs, détente
D Activités sportives
Contacts utiles
Table of contents : En
Welcome to Rennes
A The city of Rennes
B The Rennes International Mobility Centre
Entry and residency formalities
A Obtaining a visa
B Obtaining un titre de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A Social security and health insurance
B Access to health care
A Finding somewhere to live
B Practical information
C Before moving in
D Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A Opening an account
B The cost of living
C Income tax
D Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A Administrative procedures
B Educational system
C Schools
D Childcare facilities for young children
E Organising work for your spouse
F Family allowances/benefits
G Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A Eating
B Getting around
C Learning French
D Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A Where to get information
B Cultural events and festivals
C Leisure activities
D Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES