The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 15)

Entry and residency P r o c e d ure s The above information relates to researchers and those PhD students who benefit from the scientific procedure. Please note that this information might change depending on the current regulations when you arrive in France. Please contact the CMI Rennes for more information. A OBTAINING A VISA Certain documents must be assembled together before the researcher arrives in France. The formalities involved vary according to the researcher's nationality, the length of his stay in France, and the kind of establishment in which they are going to work. There is, in fact, a difference between the right of entry into French territory, which is acquired by means of the issue of a visa, and the right to stay in French territory, which is authorised by the obtaining of a residency permit. According to the principle of the freedom of movement of people, citizens of the European Union and the European Economic Area (the countries of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland) do not have to obtain a visa. Consequently, citizens of the European Union only require a passport or an identity card. The passport must be valid for at least the entire duration of the stay in France. Hosting agreement (convention d'accueil) In order to reduce the delays in granting permission to those international researchers and their families, from non-EU or non-EEA countries, to state-run (or approved private) establishments to carry out research work or to teach in a university, the Law of 24 July 2006 created a new simplified procedure based on the convention d'accueil (reception agreement). This document is essential for the obtaining of a visa and a titre de séjour mention `scientifique' (residency permit marked `scientist'). When a researcher's stay is validated by the host establishment, this latter issues a convention d'accueil. The purpose of the convention d'accueil is, firstly, to specify the purpose of the stay by giving détails of the nature and period of the research engaged in, and, secondly, to make the host organisation aware of its responsibilities concerning the conditions of residence in France of the international scientist that it is employing or hosting (existence of sufficient financial resources to cover the expense of the stay and of the journey back home, existence of health insurance covering risks for the whole of the stay in France, and existence of insurance covering accidents at work). The form is then sent to the researcher, who signs it and presents it to the French Consulate in their home country when applying for a visa. Application for a visa European Union and European Economic Area citizens are exempt from having to obtain a visa, and so the procedures outlined below do not concern them. For foreign researchers from other countries there are several types of visa, each of which depends on the length of stay envisaged: o Short-stay visa (visa de court séjour) - for a stay of less than three months. It cannot be renewed or marked "scientifique" on presentation of the convention d'accueil. The holder of a short-stay visa is exempt from having to apply for a titre de séjour (residency permit). o Temporary-stay visa (visa de séjour temporaire) - for a stay of a maximum period of between three and six months. This type of visa is only issued in exceptional, and therefore rather rare, circumstances. o Long-stay visa (visa de long séjour) - for a stay of more than three months. This visa is compulsory when a foreigner wishes to live in France for a period of more than three months. It is marked 'D' and "titre de séjour à solliciter dans les deux mois suivant l'arrivée " (residency permit to be applied for within two months of the date of arrival). (Article L313-8 CESEDA - law governing the entry and stay of foreign citizens in France). o The long stay visa that acts as a residence permit: "VLS-TS". A new decree was made on 24 April 2009 that introduced a new long stay visa that is valid as a residence permit. A "scientific" researcher is eligible for this type of visa. Remember though that the partners of scientists are still covered by the traditional visa scheme and must apply for a residence permit upon arrival. The visa must be applied for at the French consulate in the applicant's home country, or at the French consulate of the country where the researcher normally lives before they come to France. Documents required Documents to be produced by any researcher who is not a citizen of the European Union or of the European Economic Area, who will be working in a public or approved private institution, and who wishes to apply for a visa at the French Embassy or French consulate in their country of residence are: o A passport, together with a photocopy of it, valid for the duration of the stay in France. o The visa application form. o Proof of the purpose of the stay, i.e. the original and a copy of the convention d'accueil signed by the head of the host organisation and validated by the prefecture. o Recent identical good-quality full-face (bareheaded) identity photographs in colour (3 5 cm x 4 5 cm). 15

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Sommaire : Fr
Présentation de Rennes
A La ville de Rennes
B Le Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes
Formalités d’entrée et de séjour
A Obtenir un visa
B Obtenir un titre de séjour
S’assurer et se soigner
A Sécurité sociale et assurance santé
B L'accès aux soins
Se loger
A Chercher un logement
B Informations pratiques
C Avant l’installation
D Garantie et caution solidaire
Banque et argent
A Ouvrir un compte
B Coût de la vie
C Impôts
D Retraites
Venir avec sa famille
A Démarches administratives
B Système éducatif
C Scolarité
D Modes de garde des enfants en bas âge
E Travail pour les conjoints
F Allocations familiales
G Chômage et droits des étrangers
Vie quotidienne
A Se restaurer
B Se déplacer
C Apprendre le français
D Communiquer
Temps libre : culture, loisirs, activités sportives
A Centres d’information
B Evénements culturels
C Loisirs, détente
D Activités sportives
Contacts utiles
Table of contents : En
Welcome to Rennes
A The city of Rennes
B The Rennes International Mobility Centre
Entry and residency formalities
A Obtaining a visa
B Obtaining un titre de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A Social security and health insurance
B Access to health care
A Finding somewhere to live
B Practical information
C Before moving in
D Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A Opening an account
B The cost of living
C Income tax
D Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A Administrative procedures
B Educational system
C Schools
D Childcare facilities for young children
E Organising work for your spouse
F Family allowances/benefits
G Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A Eating
B Getting around
C Learning French
D Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A Where to get information
B Cultural events and festivals
C Leisure activities
D Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES